Originally Broadcast Live on March 27, 2018
- Participants will understand the safety risks associated with a lack of standardization in diet texture definitions and terminology
- Participants will learn about the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) Framework, which will be implemented in North America, Australia/New Zealand and the United Kingdom by June, 2019
- Participants will understand how to conduct the IDDSI Flow Test to measure liquid thickness
- Participants will understand how to measure the particle size and hardness of food textures
- Participants will know where to find additional resources to support implementation of the IDDSI Framework
- Participants will learn about the new IDDSI Functional Diet Scale for tracking patient diet texture restrictions and outcomes
Meet the Presenter:
Professor Catriona M. Steele is a clinician scientist working in the area of swallowing and swallowing disorders. She has a background as a medical speech-language pathologist, and is Director of the Swallowing Rehabilitation Research Laboratory at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Health Network (www.steeleswallowinglab.ca). Dr. Steele is a Professor in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Toronto and is in demand as a teacher and workshop instructor around the world.
Professor Steele holds research funding from the National Institutes of Health (USA) as well as several active industry contracts. She is an editor for the Dysphagia journal and a member of the Board of Directors for the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (www.iddsi.org).