The NFOSD works with several Speech-Language Pathologists across the country who host swallowing support groups. We have included a list of possible topics that could be covered at a meeting.
(1) Normal oropharyngeal swallow anatomy and physiology
(2) How cancer site/stage can impact swallow function/oral intake (including esophageal cancers)
(3) How surgeries/resections can impact swallow function/oral intake (including gastric pull-ups)
(4) How chemotherapy can impact swallow function/oral intake
(5) How radiotherapy can impact swallow function/oral intake
(6) Acute side effects of chemo/radiation (oral co-morbidities)
(7) Long-term side effects of chemo/radiation (fibrotic processes)
(8) Functional outcomes post-chemoradiation
(9) Consequences of chronic dysphagia
(10) Role of SLP before, during, and after chemo-radiation or surgical resection followed by chemo-radiation
(11) The role of frailty in swallowing: how to maintain physical and cognitive reserves
(12) Preparing a dysphagia diet
(13) Understanding a video swallow study: the what, why, and when?